Three Times A Charm with Cindy Dorminy & Tuned Into You
Hey y’all! Welcome to 3x’s A Charm. I love, love, love to introduce readers to the people involved in children’s publishing. Today we welcome young adult author, Cindy Dorminy. Cindy, tell us a little about you, please.
Unlike most authors, I didn’t grow up wanting to be a writer. I wasn’t even an avid reader, but I had a vivid imagination and I loved movies. I still do. There’s not a day that goes by that I’m not quoting one of my favorite lines. When I’m not at my day job as a research coordinator, I love to write sweet love stories. I share my house with my musician husband, an awesome teenage daughter (my go-to person for teen-speak), and Daisy Mae, the sweetest pooch on the planet. I live in Nashville, Tennessee where live music really can be heard everywhere, even at the airport and grocery store.
The only live music you’ll find in my grocery store is me – singing in Latin as I browse the aisles. Not quite the same, though – huh? So, tell us all about your book.
Tuned Into You
A summer party is the last place Lydia Flowers wanted to be. Her toughest softball competitor would be more fun than Abe Fischer, the Nashville Teen Idol superstar. He’s a lip-syncing party animal with a short fuse; at least that’s what the tabloids say. Except Abe’s nothing like the guy Lydia’s read about online. He’s sweet and the way he talks to his horse could even make her go weak in the knees.
Life throws Lydia and Abe a curve ball when they are wrongfully arrested for destruction of property. Her choices? Work on the Fischer Farm beside Abe or the arrest goes on her record and ruins her shot at a softball scholarship. With few options, Lydia agrees to a summer working like a dog beside Abe and their initial dislike turns to attraction. If Lydia doesn’t watch out, she just might lose her heart to the dreamy-eyed singer.
When the press gets wind of the secret Abe’s family has been keeping from him, he’ll have to risk pushing Lydia away and striking out in the ultimate game of his life. Lydia will have to decide if Abe’s messed up life in the spotlight is worth risking her heart and the scholarship of her dreams.
I recommend my book to readers who like:
Tiffany King: Turtle Bay
Angie Stanton: Rock and a Hard Place
Now let’s move on to the threes. Give us your top 3 responses to the following to help us get to know you better.
● Top 3 most admired people and why you admire them.
1. My husband Mark – He’s my best friend and he’s put up with a lot from me over the years and he still loves me. He makes me laugh every day and without him, there would be no Maddie Rose.
2. Maddie Rose – Even though she’s only thirteen, she’s so cool, smart and funny. If I could go back in time and be a teen again, I’d want to be her best friend.
3. Sylvester Stallone – I know that sounds odd after the other two very personal people I mentioned, but if you’ve read this far, you know I love movies. When Stallone was a nobody, he wrote a screenplay you might have heard about: Rocky. He believed in it so much that he wouldn’t sell the script unless he could be cast as the main character. And the rest is history. He believed in himself enough to take a chance at losing everything and look where he is today.
● Top 3 leisure activities.
1. I lift weights. At 5 AM 3-4 days a week, my husband and I drag ourselves downstairs and lift weights. I’ve been slinging iron since the eighties and even was a competitive bodybuilder back in the day.
2. Gardening – I’m not great at it, but there’s something about working with the earth that helps me figure out a frustrating scene.
3. Movies – As I mentioned early, I love going to the movies. I’ll even go by myself. When I was a teen, I saw the movie Grease over thirty times in the theatre (of course, going to the movies was much cheaper back then). I own a projector and can show movies on a big screen any time I want!
● Top 3 personal mantras or inspirational phrases.
Of course, mine are movie quotes.
1. Do, or do not. There is no try. (Yoda, Empire Strikes Back)
2. There is no normal life, just life. (Doc Holliday, Tombstone)
3. Just keep swimming. (Dory, Finding Nemo)
Cindy, where can our tech savvy readers find out more about you and your work? Especially that brand new book.
@cindydorminy Twitter and Facebook
Thanks for visiting with us today. It was great to get to know more about you and Tuned Into You.